Okay, so you want to watch the abdication of Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands and the investiture of His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands on April 30, eh? Well, here are a few things you need to know before tomorrow’s historic event.
First, the videos below will carry the ceremony and celebrations live online.
Second, if you live in the United States, as I do, you will have to wake up early. Very early. Click here to figure out when the ceremony begins in your time zone.
Third, if you are on Twitter and would like to join in on the discussions with other royal watchers and journalists reporting live from Amsterdam the hashtags — as of now — will be: #troon, #troonswisseling, #koninginnedag, #inhuldiging, #WillemAlexander, #koning, #oranje, #Maxima, and #NieuweKerk.
You can also follow KHTweets here. Or, you can follow the great Dutch network, NOS, live updates and information here and/or here.
Fourth, here is the breakdown regarding tomorrow’s abdication and investiture courtesy of RVD/HKH:
- 10am in Amsterdam: The abdication of Her Majesty the Queen in the Moseszaal of the Royal Palace Amsterdam.
- 10:30am: His Majesty King Willem-Alexander, Her Majesty Queen Máxima and Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands appear on the balcony of the Paleis op de dam.
- 1:30pm: Opening of the joint session of the States General, following the entry of the members of the States General, the States of Aruba, Curaçao and St Maarten, the Council of Ministers for the Kingdom and the Council of State.
- 1:50pm: Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix and other members of the Royal Family proceed to the Nieuwe Kerk.
- 2pm: His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands makes his way to the Nieuwe Kerk.
- 2-3:30pm: His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is swore in and the investiture of His Majesty at the joint session of the two Houses of the States General in the Nieuwe Kerk.
- 3:30pm: His Majesty King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and members of the royal family proceed back to the Paleis op de Dam.
- 4:30-6pm: Gala reception for foreign royals, dignitaries and a bunch of other people at the Paleis op de Dam.
- 7pm: The Song for the King will be performed in the presence of the King and Queen, prior to the water pageant. This will take place at the EYE Film Museum via a video link with Ahoy Rotterdam.
- 7:45pm: Their Majesties King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands accompanied by their three daughters will participate in a water pageant on the River IJ. They will sail from EYE Film Institute past the Oever Park and the ‘Kop van Java’. At several places along the route they will be treated to a festive program, including a ‘mini Sail’.
- 9pm: Prime Minister Mark Rutte on behalf of the Council of Ministers for the Kingdom will host another celebration.
Here is Her Majesty’s goodbye message which was pre-recorded at Huis ten Bosch.
And, with that… God Bless Her Majesty Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands! She is truly an amazing woman! 🙂
Photo courtesy of HKH/RVD