On Friday, June 17, 2022, His Majesty King Harald V of Norway appointed His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden with the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav in a private ceremony at the Royal Palace in Oslo.
On the morning of Friday, June 17, 2022, the Norwegian royal court released new photographs of Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway in celebration of her 18th birthday. The photographs were taken in the Upper Vestibule at the Royal Palace in Oslo.
Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway is wearing the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav and His Majesty King Harald V’s House Order (portrait brooch), which were conferred on her by His Majesty The King on her 18th birthday on January 21, 2022.
This is the first time Princess Ingrid Alexandra is wearing the decorations. She is also wearing miniatures of the Order of St. Olav, the Royal House of Norway Centenary Medal, and His Majesty King Harald V’s Jubilee Medal 1991 – 2016.
Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra is also wearing a diamond and pearl tiara that has been passed down from Her Royal Highness Princess Ingeborg of Sweden, who was the grandmother of His Majesty King Harald V of Norway and the great-great-Grandmother of Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway.
Her Royal Highness Princess Ingeborg of Sweden received the diamond and pearl tiara as a gift from her husband, His Royal Highness Prince Carl of Sweden, more than 120 years ago. “It means a great deal to me that the tiara has now been given to Princess Ingrid Alexandra,” said Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner.
“It is a beautiful tiara made of interlocking diamond circles set in platinum. The button-style diamond and pearl elements are later additions. Grandfather purchased the tiara for Grandmother when they were attending the Paris Exposition in 1900,” Princess Astrid explained. Princess Ingeborg’s husband, Prince Carl, was aware that his wife had several tiaras that were heavy to wear.
At the Paris Exposition, the Prince saw the tiara on display by the jeweler, Boucheron, and purchased it. “Grandfather bought this for my grandmother because it was lighter to wear on important occasions,” says Princess Astrid.
When Princess Ingeborg died, Her Highness Princess Ragnhild, Mrs. Lorentzen inherited the tiara. Princess Ragnhild’s children gave the tiara to Princess Ingrid Alexandra as their gift on her 18th birthday. “Princess Ragnhild wanted Ingrid Alexandra to have Grandmother’s tiara,” said Princess Astrid.
Princess Ingeborg, the great-great-grandmother of Princess Ingrid Alexandra, often let her three daughters borrow her jewelry. In photographs from Crown Prince Olav and Crown Princess Märtha’s extensive tour in 1939, Crown Princess Märtha can be seen wearing her mother’s tiara at a gala dinner at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. “Grandmother let Mother borrow her tiara when Mother and Father travelled to the USA,” said Princess Astrid.
This evening at the Royal Palace in Oslo, Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway will wear the Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav, His Majesty King Harald V’s House Order, and Princess Ingeborg’s diamond and pearl tiara for the first time at a gala dinner held in her honor and hosted by Their Majesties King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway.
Dozens of foreign royals will attend this evening’s gala dinner including:
- Her Majesty Queen Mathilde of the Belgians
- Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth of the Belgians, Duchess of Brabant
- Their Majesties King Wille-Alexander and Queen Maxima of the Netherlands
- Her Royal Highness Princess Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Oranje
- Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
- Their Royal Highnesses Crown Prince Pavlos and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece
- Her Royal Highness Princess Maria – Olympia of Greece
- His Royal Highness Prince Constantine – Alexios of Greece
- His Royal Highness Prince Aristidis – Stavros of Greece
- Their Royal Highnesses Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg
- His Royal Highness Prince Charles of Luxembourg
- Their Royal Highnesses Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel of Sweden
- Her Royal Highness Princess Estelle of Sweden
- His Royal Highness Prince Oscar of Sweden
- His Highness Prince Kyril of Bulgaria
- Her Highness Princess Mafalda-Cecilia Preslavska
- Her Highness Princess Olia Preslavska
- His Highness Prince Tassilo
If you’re interested in watching tonight’s gala dinner and grand ball the Norwegian television network, NRK, will air the royals entering the gala event and perhaps some segments thereafter live online at the link below. However, I must inform you that there will be no subtitles.
Photos courtesy of the Norwegian Royal Court/Ida Bjørvik